Wanting to belong? Who isn't? Clan Nightwolf from day one has been a group built around my dream, and the social interaction and ideals of the group are for a select few. I have witnessed households grow fat with members to eventually disintegrate when inner strife breaks out. I too have watched groups die off because they refused to grow and change. I strive to keep Clan Nightwolf in a fine middle ground. Anyway, here are the guidelines we use.
A person wishing to enter into the initiate phase with Clan Nightwolf must make a formal request, in writing, to Jonas Blackmane. Upon evaluating the intersted party and deeming them worthy of initiate status, Jonas will invite them to begin their trials.
- The Trial of Trust: This is a somewhat intangible test to determine beyond any doubt that the initiate joining will not harm the group now or in the future.
- The Trial of Time: Potential members must attend at least five major events with the Clan. This means camping with us, helping out with camp chores, and participating in setup, teardown, or both.
- The Trial of Commitment: The prospective member will be asked to purchase a period tent, acquire and maintain decent garb (at least one really nice outfit), and contribute funds as all offical memebers.
- The Trial of Labors: In addition to duties while at an event, this trial requires the potential member to contribute to the Clan through acts of time donated to help with group projects such as building camp furniture, organizing gear, procuring firewood, and maintaining and repairing the Palisade.
- The Trial of Personality: This trial may sound silly, but the truth of the matter is that not everyone is cut out to be a Nightwolf member. This group is not a poofy sleeved cluster of fags spewing "m'lord" at every opportunity. I (Jonas) am rude, crude, egotistical, and have little use for political correctness or courtly graces. I and my members make our way through life having fun our way. If you can handle that, you'll pass this trial.
These trials do not occur in any specific order. They are all concurrent.
After the Trial of Time is complete (and the other trials passed to satisfaction), Jonas asks the opinion of the other members, getting everyone's feedback. Then, with that in mind, he will decide if the initiate is worthy of membership. If they have been found to be a valuable asset to the group, they are asked to pay their first dues (which partially cover the creation of their membership regalia) and then at their next major event they are offically initated into Clan Nightwolf.